Skip to main content
Ontario Tech acknowledges the lands and people of the Mississaugas of Scugog Island First Nation.

We are thankful to be welcome on these lands in friendship. The lands we are situated on are covered by the Williams Treaties and are the traditional territory of the Mississaugas, a branch of the greater Anishinaabeg Nation, including Algonquin, Ojibway, Odawa and Pottawatomi. These lands remain home to many Indigenous nations and peoples.

We acknowledge this land out of respect for the Indigenous nations who have cared for Turtle Island, also called North America, from before the arrival of settler peoples until this day. Most importantly, we acknowledge that the history of these lands has been tainted by poor treatment and a lack of friendship with the First Nations who call them home.

This history is something we are all affected by because we are all treaty people in Canada. We all have a shared history to reflect on, and each of us is affected by this history in different ways. Our past defines our present, but if we move forward as friends and allies, then it does not have to define our future.

Learn more about Indigenous Education and Cultural Services

Physical distancing 101: Grocery shopping online

March 25, 2020

Grocery shopping is an essential part of our weekly routines, but it may seem like a large obstacle with the increasing lines in stores. So how can we practice physical distancing, while stocking-up on our daily needs? Well not worry, there are many ways to stock-up on your daily essentials, while avoiding those long lines!

via GIPHY

Online grocery websites

I’ve been using online grocery websites for a while now, but now I can say it has the added benefit of supporting physical distancing. There are so many online grocery websites that offer grocery pick-up and/or delivery. The ones that have been my holy grail are: Loblaws, Metro, Walmart, No Frills, and Longo’s. For example, Loblaws offers both pick-up and delivery (depending on your area), and it’s so easy. Just pick your items, select a time-slot, and click checkout. Imagine being able to easily search through the items you want in the comfort of your home and having everything prepared without stepping foot into a store – I know it sounds amazing! This not only saves you time by avoiding long lines, but it helps you avoid unnecessary contact in busy stores. Because of the high demand right now, expect to choose a pick-up or delivery time that is a few days away. Some of the services let you add more items after you place your order, so don't worry if you forget something!

via GIPHY

Websites for essentials

We all know Amazon is our go-to for charging cables and textbooks, but they also offer many essentials, from different types of pastas to shampoos. You can also use a cool feature called “subscribe and save” to receive your essentials monthly while saving five to 15 per cent depending on how many items you subscribe to. Another great website for essentials is Well.ca, and this website not only offers various types of essentials, but they offer niche organic, vegan, and gluten-free products. I personally use both websites to stock-up on essentials, because if I can’t find something on Amazon, I can find it on Well.ca – and vice-versa. 

via GIPHY

Shopping for other people

You might have family members and neighbours that may not be able to go out and shop for groceries and essentials – but there is a way to help them! Not only can you use online grocery shopping for yourself, but you can order essentials to be delivered to your neighbour’s/family members’ homes as well. For example, when you're using online grocery websites, you can ship to other addresses, or you can use the online grocery pick-up to get their items as well. By doing so you and others are avoiding unnecessary contact, and you’re helping someone in need – thus physical distancing with a cause. 

via GIPHY

Overall, physical distancing may seem like a foreign task, but it can be easily accomplished in the digital world of online shopping. You’re making a difference, one click at a time!
By Patil Mksyartinian